There is an ancient stone church in the name of Our Lady of Georgia situated in Moscow at Gruzinsky alley that comes down the hillside of Ignatievsky alley to the wall of Kitai-gorod.
It is an exuberant melee of onion domes, decorative details and contrast colors. The Church's construction was financed by local merchant Grigory Nikitnikov.
In former times it was called "in the name of the saint life-giving Trinity in Niikitniki", and before that "Nikitskaya" or "of the saint martyr Nikita at Glinische (Clay soil)". Originally it was made of wood. Its name "at Glinische (Clay soil)" was taken from the hill the Church situated on because of red clay earth.
The exact date of the original wooden Nikitskaya church is unknown. First extant knowledge of it dates back to 1625. But most likely it was there even in the sixteenth century, more specifically in 1579 when the hagiographical icon of the saint martyr Nikita, that hangs on the south wall of its Nikitsky aisle, is mentioned in the records.
As in 1571, during the invasion of Khan Devlet Giray almost all wood conduits of Kitai-gorod were destroyed by fire, wooden Nikitskaya Church was probably built between 1571 and 1579.
In the sixteenth century Moscow and especially its "Kitai-gorod" often suffered from fires that caused loss of many churches with holy icons, vessels and books. As a consequence "Kitai-gorod" was also called "the Fire" and as a trading center "the Market" or "the Market-place".
In Soviet times the church was eventually used as a museum. The interior has recently undergone considerable restoration works. The innards are decorated with the 17th century religious frescoes by the famous Simon Ushakov.