Church of Saint Nicholas in Khamovniki is a late 17th-century parish church of a former weavers suburb in Moscow district of Khamovniki. The church is a federal listed heritage site. It marks the intersection of the present Komsomolsky Prospect and Leo Tolstoy Street, two blocks from the Garden Ring. The churchyard with few small old houses occupies the whole block between Leo Tolstoy and Timur Frunze .
We first heard of the Church made of wood in 1625. In 1657 it was made of stone and in 1677 they began to call it by its full name “The Church of Saint Nikolas the Wonderworker against the metropolitan stables”. The main five-domed church was built in 1679-1682; bell tower and refectory were completed in 1694. Present day religious officials claim that the bell tower in Khamovniki is one of the highest tent-shaped bell towers in Moscow region. In 1757 the builders added a side annex dedicated to Saint Dmitry of Rostov.
The present Church was founded on the 21st of May, 1679 during the reign of Czar Feodor Alekseevich a little away from the original building. The consecration of the main temple took place on the 25th of June, 1682. One-table refectory with chapels and bell tower were added later.
In 1812 during the Patriotic war of 1812 the interior of the building was partially destroyed, but rebuilt by 1849. In 1845 mural decoration appeared in the Temple. In the early nineteenth century the Temple’s peribolus and gates were raised.
The Temple was restored in 1896, 1949 and 1972. However, remained active.
In 1992 a bell weighing 108 puds was set at the bell tower.
In 2008, the Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Khamovniki celebrated 160th anniversary of its relocation and glorification of the miraculous icon of the Mother of God "the sinners Defender" under its domes tops.